Tales from my life

Monday, November 19, 2007

A day in the life of an architecture student

Well depending on the day and what projects are due next, it could range from a 16hr work day or 48hr or 60hr work day; pick your poison. I am a freshman at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn,NY, one of the more challenging architecture schools. So I usually start the day between 7-9, get up and make tea then get ready and head out the door. Walk 10 mintues to the G (one of the worst lines in Brooklyn), wait 5-35 minutes for my train. Get off at Clinton-Washington and walk 5 minutes to school. I'll do my design work unil class at 2pm, which lasts until 6 (although last Thursday it lasted till 830). I usually dont eat during that time period, since a crappy turkey and mustard sandwich is $5.99 in the cafe in my building. I refuse to pay for bad, bland food. So sometimes I go to one of the other 3 amazing choices, pizza, the 24hr deli, or the way over-priced tasty food market. Anyways, design takes forever, and depending on the day it takes from 4 hrs or 24hrs, if we have a review the next day. Well for midterm, design work lasted for 4 days with about 6 hrs of sleep over those 4 days. I think I slept for 20hrs straight after my midterm. And these midterms aren't like usually tests. We build models, have to draw those models 4 different ways which takes about 5 days just to draw. We have to present to the jury, which is a panel of about 4-8 critics, who are other professors at the school or other architects from around NY. All very very intimidating. So we present our work to the jury who questions your every move. "Why did you do this? Did you really think that was the best way to do that? Why does that look like that? Was that intentional, because it shouldn't have been. I dont follow your point of view. If you just said that why did you do this because you contradicted yourself, why whould you do that?" etc, etc. Any criticism under the sun. It can make a strong man weak, and it often does. So you get the drift. A whole lot of time and effort (and no sleep and no good food) just to get your ideas run over by a mack truck at the end of the day. And I have another review in just 2 weeks. So excited! Hopefully all this blood, sweat and tears will be worth it in the end.

2 comments:

hansu_87 said...

Welcome! Welcome!!

aku said...

hi mel.....i'm indonesian and i'm an architecture student, too....
we have a same life, i think....
sleepless night,sooo many assignment, design design and design, draw and models.....lol...
mel, you're not alone....all architecture students in this world feel the same thing, i guess....lol
glad to know you ^_^

auctionads

Google

sitemeter